Head of Programmes Operations
Reports to: Director of Programmes
Direct Reports: Programmes Managers x 3
Salary: £55,000 to £60,000/y
Choose Love is seeking a Head of Programmes Operations to join our team. This is a unique opportunity to work for one of the fastest-growing charities in the UK. Choose Love is at a pivotal moment in its growth as we expand our programmes, in response to the growing needs following the invasion of Ukraine. You’ll work in the Programmes team, managing a small but dynamic, hard-working team, and have the chance to make a real, tangible impact on the lives of hundreds of thousands of refugees and displaced people all over the world.
Reporting to the Director of Programmes, the Head of Programmes Operations will be the linchpin of the Programmes team, making sure that our internal processes and systems are efficient and effective. We’re looking for someone who is a natural organiser, who can build their own systems for managing a wide range of tasks. The ideal candidate will have a track record of thoughtfully managing and growing a team. You will excel at communicating and coordinating, using your initiative and positive attitude.
You will provide team management for the Programmes team, including managing internal communications and capacity, developing the efficiency of the team, holding 1-1s, and managing individuals’ professional development. This role will improve the efficiencies and support for the Programmes team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the Programmes team; this is an internally facing role
- Manage key Programmes team members including holding regular 1-1s, building professional development plans, conducting mid-year and annual reviews for team members
- Act as the main point of contact for all Programmes Managers, identifying any training needs and supporting with any issues that arise
- Promote a positive team dynamic to support wellbeing, morale, and performance
- Work with the Deputy CEO and Director of Programmes to develop annual work plans according to the set strategy, to achieve programme goals of ‘closing and preventing future gaps in services provision for refugees along key migration routes
- Work with the Director of Programmes to implement the communication strategy for information flow between Programmes and Communications, sharing information from Programmes team and partners with the communications team
- Manage the Programmes team’s capacity to function efficiently according to Choose Love’s mission
- Support the Programmes team with queries and troubleshooting
- Co-ordinate activity across the whole of the Programmes function, working with UK, Greece, US, and Lebanon colleagues, to ensure the team works collaboratively) sharing best practices and maintaining communication and information flow
- Responsible for the management of CL’s Programmes teams working in the field, including working with HR to ensure support is in place
Systems and Processes
- Implementation of new systems and processes in the Programmes team following strategic direction from Director of Programmes
- Optimising and streamlining of the existing systems and processes
- Consult with the Programmes team on new processes, ensuring collaborative practice and the use of the collective experience and knowledge.
- Establish and oversee effective team and project management practices that ensure the delivery of the annual programme’s strategy
- Establish a culture of continuous improvement across the Programmes function.
- Based in London
Person Specification – Experience, knowledge, skills
- Demonstrable experience of compassionately managing diverse teams to achieve set outcomes
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- 5+ years working in the humanitarian / international development sector
Experience using different tools and platforms to systematise complex project
- Knowledge and experience of personal and professional development of team members
- Strong interpersonal skills – including the ability to coach direct reports, motivate teams working remotely and get the best out of a group
- Organisational skills – employing tactics to manage your own workload and ensure direct reports are meeting theirs
- Able to build meaningful relationships quickly to support high performance
- Salary £55,000 – £60,000
- Flexible working arrangements
- 28 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave
- Wonderful collaborative office location at Somerset House
- Opportunity to work with a team of talented individuals with a great work ethic!
- Investment in training and personal and professional development
How to apply
Choose Love is collaborating with Prospectus as our recruitment partner for this vacancy. In order to apply please submit your CV (2-3 pages) by Friday 20th May. Following your application, you may be contacted by Prospectus for an informal discussion and may be asked to provide further information to assist with the recruitment process.
At Choose Love, we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of all those with whom we have contact, especially refugee children and vulnerable adults. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children, vulnerable adults and displaced communities are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure, receipt of 2 satisfactory references and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.